Thank you for your interest and inquiry on employment with the City of Sebastian. We are an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of Race, Color, Religion, Sex, National Origin, Disability, Age, or Marital Status; and we are totally committed to recruiting personnel who reflect the cultural diversity of our area. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Click Here for Equal Opportunity Information and Application
CITY OF SEBASTIAN
STORMWATER UTILITIES - MAINTENANCE WORKER I
The City of Sebastian is accepting applications for the positions of Regular Full-Time Entry Level Maintenance Worker for the City of Sebastian Public Facilities and Entry Level Maintenance Worker for the Stormwater Utilities Department. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
The purpose of the position is to perform a wide variety of unskilled and semiskilled maintenance and repair work in one or more of the trade disciplines. Employees in this class demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities relevant to operating a variety of equipment in construction, operation, repair, maintenance, and replacement of City streets and storm drainage systems and/or maintenance of City owned property.
1. Performs skilled maintenance and repairs on structures, facilities, equipment, and other City owned property in a variety of trade disciplines.
2. Inspects and/or repair’s streets, and drainage systems at frequent intervals to insure that all aspects of the systems are functioning properly.
3. Insures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after use.
4. Performs routine inspections on assigned equipment and reports defects or needed repairs to their immediate supervisor.
5. Performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects as part of a work crew, including pavement cutting, ditch digging, manhole and line cleaning, general cleaning, maintenance of City owned property and lawn mowing.
6. Operates a variety of power construction and maintenance equipment used in the Public Works Department.
7. Operates various standard hand-held manual, electrical, and gas powered tools and equipment.
8. Insures all work performed adheres to established safety standards, building codes and regulations, and engineering standards where applicable.
9. Performs preventive maintenance according to assigned schedules or when directed.
10. Inspects, recognizes and reports any detected deterioration, repair needs, and maintenance needs to supervisor.
11. Assists other trade’s personnel in one (1) or more of the trade disciplines to provide essential knowledge, skills, and abilities in all trades utilized by the unit.
12. Operates agency vehicles.
Tasks involve regular and sustained performance of moderately physically demanding work, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and that generally involves lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-50 pounds). Occasionally, may be required to lift and/or move items weighing up to (100 pounds).
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS:
• Ability to use motorized vehicles and equipment, including pickup truck, dump truck, tamper, push mower or lawn mower, bush hog weed eater, blower, edger, various saws, pumps, leaf sweeper, compactor, spreader, chipper, cement mixer, generator, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, mobile radio, and/or telephone.
• Ability to work safely;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments, and the public;
• Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
• Is Customer Focused;
• One Who Values and Respects Others;
• Drives to Excel;
• Believes in Teamwork and Collaboration;
• Believes in Continuous Learning;
• Demonstrates Ethical Behavior; and is
• Supportive of Change.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE GUIDELINES
High school diploma or GED equivalent; supplemented by one (1) to three (3) years of experience and/or training in one (1) or more of the trade disciplines outlined herein; and demonstrated knowledge, skills, and abilities in a second trade discipline acquired through either internal or external resources, within one (1) year from date of hire; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
Valid State of Florida Commercial Driver’s License Class “A” or Class “B” with air brake endorsement preferred or must be able to obtain one within six (6) months from date of hire.
POLICE DEPARTMENT-REGULAR FULL-TIME
HIRING SALARY RANGE $40,608.00 - $54,552.78
The City of Sebastian is conducting an open recruitment for the position of Regular full-time Police Officer for the Police Department.
Under the general direction of the Chief of Police, this is law enforcement and public safety work in the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances. Employees in this classification perform work in varied law enforcement assignments such as motorized patrol, traffic control and enforcement, preliminary and follow-up investigation at crime scenes, and provide first responder treatment to the injured etc. Work involves an element of danger, and employee must be able to act without direct supervision exercising independent discretion in meeting emergencies.
Performs law enforcement patrol activities including, but not limited to; arresting violators of the law, computer checks of property, persons, firearms, stolen equipment, and wanted and/or stolen vehicles. Must be able to assess drivers’ ability to operate vehicles. Must be able to transport mental patients, prisoner or suspects; conducts felony stops, and searches for missing, lost and or wanted persons. Conducts dwelling, building or grounds check; pursues vehicles; detains driver of suspected vehicle; responds to alarm calls and subdues resisting offenders using force where appropriate, including deadly force. Conducts law enforcement investigations, including but not limited to records identifying marks on vehicles, firearms and other objects; prepares, reviews and distributes BOLO reports for wanted notices and coordinates activities at crash sites, crimes or investigation scenes, secure crime scene, collects crime scene evidence; transports evidence or property. Conducts live photo lineups; prepares written or computer generated reports and presents testimony and evidence in both civil and criminal court proceedings. Must be able to interact well with the public, including speaking before public groups, be able to administer first-aid to sick and injured persons; administers CPR procedures, and provides security for special functions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Graduation from High School or G.E.D equivalent. Must be at least nineteen (19) years of age at time of appointment; have completed the State Examination with a passing score, or enrolled in an approved Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) program. Must possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver’s License throughout employment without any restrictions, which might affect job performance and must be able to successfully pass:
1. Oral Review Board 5. Physical Examination
2. Truth Verification Examination 6. Drug Screen
3. Psychological Test 7. Final Review of Files
4. Extensive Background Check
For more information, call 772-388-8222 or visit our website at www.cityofsebastian.org
Applications are available in the Human Resources Department or on the City website.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER/DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Excellent Benefit Package – Medical, Dental, Vision, Prescription, Life Insurance, Retirement, and Pension Plan.
PUBLIC WORKS – PART TIME IRRIGATION, TURF, AND GROUNDS SPECIALIST
$16.00 - $20.00/HOUR DOE
The City of Sebastian is accepting applications for the position of Part Time Irrigation, Turf and Grounds Specialist for the City of Sebastian Public Works Department. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Under general direction of the Public Works Director, Superintendent, or designee performs a wide variety of skilled or semiskilled maintenance and repair work in irrigation and turf and grounds management. Employees in this class must demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities relevant to installing and maintaining irrigation systems, turf and grounds care to insure the best quality appearance. Performs related work as directed.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
High school diploma or GED equivalent; supplemented by two (2) to five (5) years of experience and/or training in the trade disciplines outlined herein; and demonstrate knowledge, skills, and abilities in a third trade discipline acquired through either internal or external resources; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Employee must possess a valid state of Florida driver license.
Education in turf and/or grounds management. Specializing in irrigation management.
Must possess a State of Florida restricted use pesticide license.
Be willing to acquire the Florida Playground Inspector Certification in 6-9 months,
Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug Free Workplace/ADA Government Channel/Website http://www.cityofsebastian.org/employment-information