The mission of the Leisure Services Department is to improve our residents quality of life while providing opportunities to improve their physical, mental and social well-being as they enjoy our parks and facilities while contributing to the economic and environmental sustainability of Sebastian.
Summary of Services
The Leisure Services Department range of services include Recreational Activities, Parks Maintenance, and Special Event Organization and Assistance. The Department is responsible for the landscape maintenance on over 165 acres of park land within the City. Sebastian is proud to provide 23 parks and facilities for our citizens to enjoy. The City strives to provide well planned, active and passive recreation and open space ensuring a comprehensive system of parks, recreational facilities, and open space that meets the health, safety and welfare needs of the City residents and visitors and which enhances the natural environment of the City.
The Leisure Services Department is responsible for all maintenance of the city parks and landscape areas. Responsibilities include:
- All irrigation of the city-owned parks and landscaped areas
- Daily maintenance at the sports complex to include four baseball/softball fields and three multi-purpose athletic fields.
- Landscape maintenance at (17) parks, grounds of (4) city buildings, (2) boat ramps, and Indian River Drive Riverfront walkway.
- Maintenance and care of hedges, annuals and trees
- Provision for tree trimming and removal of trees within the City-owned right-of-ways
- Repairs to the playground/picnic facilities to assure safety and appearance for the citizens and visitors
- Tree maintenance, planting and removal
- Upkeep of restroom facilities in nine parks
Some of the city parks for which the department is responsible as stated above, include:
- Barber Street Sports Complex
- Hardee Park
- Friendship Park
- Bark Park
- Riverview Park
- Pickleball Complex
- Many more
This Parks Division also maintains portions of some of the medians in the city; including U.S. Highway 1, C.R. 512/Sebastian Boulevard and Schumann Drive.
The City offers classes and special events throughout the year. Some of the activities included are Tai Chi for Health, Group Fitness classes, Karate, Senior Aerobics, Gentle Yoga, and tiny tot tumbling. You can find out more about these and other programs by calling Kathy Falzone at 772-589-1009.
The Leisure Services Department is also responsible for handling the rentals of the Yacht Club, Community Center, Park Pavilions and Riverview Park facilities. You can visit the Facility Rentals website, call 772-228-7054, or email Ron Paul for more information.