FLOODING AND HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS
Devastating floods occur throughout the u.S. Every year. Ninety percent of all presidentially declared natural disasters involve flooding. Flooding is usually divided into two categories: flash flooding and river flooding. Both can cause death, injury and property destruction.
The following brochures and videos provide information on flood protection and hurricane preparedness. There are also links to the latest flood zone maps.
If you have questions or are in need of further information please contact Community Development @ 772-589-5518 or the Building Department @ 772-589-5537
Also available is a comprehensive listing of local recourses that you can to turn to for the latest information regarding any storms heading our way. Just follow this link. http://www.cityofsebastian.org/storm
Protect your property from flood and flooding hazards
- Notice to Owner: Substantial Improvement or Damages; the 50% Rule
- Guide for Citizens Seeking Mitigation Project Funding
- Build with flood damage resistant materials
- Raise electrical system components
- Homeowner's guide to retrofitting (complete) FEMA P-312
- Elevating your flood prone house
- Manufactured home installation in Flood Hazard Areas
- Flood cleanup and salvaging safety brochure
- Fact Sheet - After the flood
- FEMA Map Service, provides access to Flood Maps and flood related databases
- Indian River County Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) including the City of Sebastian showing the map of Special Flood Hazard Areas
- Indian River County Emergency Management website
- Indian River County Disaster Preparedness Guide: Emergency phone numbers, disaster supplies, Emergency Shelters, and much more.
- Indian River County Evacuation Zone and Sheltering Map
- FEMA Q&A - FEMA application, Creating an on-line account, sheltering in place, emergency supplies etc.
- Florida Power and Light - Preparing your home and business for the storm, reporting and tracking power outages, what to do after a storm, etc.
Preparing your home for Hurricane Season
- Video - Do it Yourself Wind Inspection; checking the home for things that can be easily done to protect it from Hurricane Damage
- Preparing your home for Hurricane by Simpson Strong-Tie Co.
- Protecting your property from High Winds